An area rug is one of the best ways to brighten up a room that may be getting a little tired, and in need of some love. A great area rug adds color and style to any room, and takes the eye away from faults, like stains in the carpet.
Rugs are one of the cheapest ways to improve the look and feel of your home. Problem is, when you’re out looking for a rug there’s so many choices it’s hard to know where to start.
However before you buy a new area rug for your home you need to think about a few things.
Here’s 5 tips for buying the right area rug for your home to add value and style.
1. The color of the rug, or the mix of colors. It’s the color and design of the rug creates the effect, so you’ve got to spend some time thinking about color.
Do you want your rug to blend in with the colors already in the room to create a more muted and subtle effect, or do you want the rug to jump out and hit the visitor in the eye when they enter the room?
So look at the colors you already have in the room and decide what effect you want to achieve. Select a color that stands out if you want your rug to be the focus of the room, select similar colors if you want your rug to add to but not dominate the room.
2. The pattern, of the rug, is almost as important as the color. There are a number of basic patterns, using both lines and curves to produce the effect. Is your room a room of lines? For example will the rug sit under or next to a table? If so having a rug with curves right beside a table with a straight edge may not work.
So consider whether you want a pattern that incorporates lines or curves.
3. The overall design of the rug is critical, and adds to the character of the rug as much as the color. There are 3 basic types. The medallion which has the motif in the center of the rug, or an all over design where the motif is spread right over the rug. Perhaps you want your motif around the edges of the rug?
So learn a little about the different designs and decide what type of design will fit your room before you go to buy.
4. The size of the rug is critical. Too many people make the mistake of buying a rug that is too big. It shouldn’t go right to the edges of the room, and of course bigger is more expensive.
Area rugs come in standard sizes and shapes, including rectangular, round, square and runner, or long hallway shape. Select a shape and size that fits in with the style of your room, making sure that there is at least 12 inches or more between the edge of the rug and the walls.
5. And finally, for rugs that are intended to go under the table. If it’s to go under a coffee table don’t get a rug that comes just to the legs and no more, most will be lost under the table. And if it’s for a table where people will be seated, like a dining table, make it big enough so that people can sit back a little without the rear legs of the chairs coming off the rug, which tips the chairs back a little and isn’t entirely comfortable.
So research a little and then get out there and buy yourself a great area rug, it’s one of the best things you can do to brighten up your home. Add a rug to a hallway to draw the eyes, or perhaps add color under the dinner table. There’s so many effects you can create with a well places area rug.
And buy over the internet, it’s so much cheaper than in your regular rug store. You can find some stunning and very cheap area rugs online.
Enjoy your new rug.